Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 15 - Nerina

Long days have passed since my return to Tyros, and I am pleased to be again in my home on Tyros. Here, I am met by my slave-girl that I call Nerina. She, a barbarian, gives me great joy. The embrace of the slaves arms, and of her soft skin against mine own, is a pleasing and comforting thing. It is said that barbarians are fit to be only the slaves of slaves, and indeed I count myself among them. Yet, she has become my favorite for reasons I cannot well describe. She is only a girl, of which I have many, but within her is a fierce loyalty uncommon in the savages of Earth, which I call the Slave-World. That strange place that is said to be beyond the Central Fire, obscured from us, but known in the Second Knowledge.

Nerina had I found some year prior, when sailing from Tyros to Kar, I, being a victim of Thassa's angry storms, found our hull leaking too badly to be mended at sea. In the shelter of a small island I anchored and commanded the planks be replaced and tarred while I, with four of my men, came ashore to explore what was thought to be a stranded man.  I was surprised to find a young slave-girl, washed ashore on these sands by some Slave-ship which had found its fate in the very same storm that damaged my own.  I took the girl there, on the sands, and placed her in my bracelets and collar, a prize to be taken to Tyros and to be used for my delights if not sold.

In the months that followed, I saw in the barbarian slave a remarkable transformation as she grew to love her Master well, and I perhaps her, in the manner that one might love any of their beasts.

We have learned that Ar has sent a fleet, and we expect now that they will seek to land in Cos. We move soon to engage them in the sea, and I ready my sword, my spear, my crossbow, my shield and helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment