Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 22 - Zalika

Once, long ago, was I but a humble Sailor and Sea-Captain. I, of the low Castes, with no means to curry the favor of the House of High-Caste Lady.

I had met, on those dusty streets of Tyros so long ago, the Lady Zalika and her sister, the Lady Isolde. I did not think then, my future would be in her arms.  It was the Lady Isolde, in those early days, who had been my personal Physician, and tended me with great skill and care.  Her sister, Zalika, and I found ourselves in conversation when time permitted and our paths in Tyros would happen to cross.  Too, did I find, the Lady Isolde becoming bitter and confrontational, questioning then my intention toward her sister - of which then I had naught.

I had strived to remain away from the two women, for it became clear that the Physician was given to bitterness in my presence, and her tongue bit like that of an Ost.  Yet, despite this, I found my heart began to yearn for the Lady Zalika.

Now,  laying in the Infirmary of Tyros after the clash of Thassa, I am under the care of Zalika who in those long months since our first encounter had become of the Caste of Physicians, leaving behind the Caste of Warriors of which I had since become.  In those quiet moments before the sun rose, she confessed to me, and I to her, the unspoken love harbored so long and in such secrecy, for fear of offense or retribution by our Houses.

It is she, Zalika, with her radiant beauty and magnificent kindness, her sharp wit and great wisdom, who keeps me alive. Not only, shall I say, by virtue of her work to save my broken flesh, but that she touches my spirit and brings a wholeness to what was until now only incomplete.  A Warrior may feel deeply, it was often said. Great passions for War, and for blood, but also for Love and for beauty. Indeed, this is the measure of a man, I think, that one feel so deeply and live so boldly.

As the war grows, I fear for her safety and have appointed men paid wage from my own purse, to see to her constant protection.  Having seen my Caste brothers of Ar, however, I fear it may not be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment